How to apply for HELB undergraduate loan: 2020-2021 First Time Application
Higher Education Loans Board(HELB) recently announced that the application for undergraduate first-time loans application is know opened. Students who sat for 2019 KCSE examination and have been admitted into Government Sponsered or self-sponsored programs in public and private universities are invited for the same. In this article, I will guide you through the process of HELB loan application, the application deadline is 31st December 2020.
Who is eligible for HELB loans First time Application- undergraduate?
- Students placed in public and private universities by the Kenya Universities and Colleges Placement Service(KUCCPS).
- Self-sponsored or parallel Bachelor students
- Undergraduate continuing students who didn’t apply for HELB in their first year of study.
HELB Loan application requirements
- A copy of the Applicant’s national ID card
- A copy of the applicant’s University/Institution Admission Letter
- Copy of Bank ATM/Card if no account confirmation by Bank (only for KUCCPS)
- One recent coloured passport size photograph of the Applicant
- Copy of KCSE result slip/certificate
- Copies of parent’s national ID Cards/death certificate where the parent is deceased.
- Copies of both guarantors’ national ID Card
- KRA Pin and valid Bank account
How to apply for the first-time undergraduate loan
- Visit the HELB web portal to register for an account.
- Read and fill the HELB Financial Literacy Literature.
- Login to your account and click on the First Time Undergraduate loan application link.
- Select and fill in the 2020/2021 First Time Undergraduate Loan Application Form.
- Print two copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form under the print section.
- Take the form to the relevant authorities and guarantors for filling, stamping and signing.
- Sign your duly filled form and attach all the necessary documents as indicated in the checklist on the last page of the Loan Application Form.
- Retain one copy of the fully filled Loan Application Form for reference.
- Present a single copy of the duly completed Loan Application Form and all the attached supporting documents to:
- HELB Desk at select HUDUMA Kenya Centers near you.
- HELB Office at Mezzanine 1, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi.
Note that you can also send your loan application form using secure mail/courier service.
HELB Contact Centre
EMAIL: [email protected]
Read Also: List of Top 10 Universities in Kenya.
Frequently Asked Questions on HELB First time Undergraduate Loan Application
How much loan can one get?
In accordance with the current Cost Sharing Policy, a student is required to pay Kshs.50,000/- per year to train at a public university. Out of this amount, HELB can award a maximum loan and bursary of Kshs.50,000/- and a bursary of Kshs.8,000.
How do I check for my loan?
- Access the HELB portal, login and click on the link loan status.
- Send an email to requesting for your statement to [email protected] or call 0711052000
You can also check for your loan status by commenting on their official social media pages or sending direct messages. HELB also introduced an SSID code that can be used for checking loan status(*642#).
When can one apply for a HELB loan?
HELB places advertisements in the print media in which it invites applications for loans. The Board maintains a deadline and those applications received after the deadline without justifiable reasons are not processed.
When are Loan Awards released?
HELB releases loan results before the new academic year starts. Thereafter, students who fail to secure a loan or are awarded inadequate amounts are encouraged to appeal. Each appeal is reviewed on its own merit. If one fails to get a loan, the following could be possible reasons:
- a) The student may not have provided adequate information about him/herself as requested b) The student may have provided false information on the loan application form.
I don’t have an ID card; can I apply for a HELB loan?
This is not possible as HELB Application form is a contract and they are not legally at a position to enter into a contract with a minor.
Is it a must for one to apply for HELB loan?
No. Only apply for HELB loan if you are in need.
For more information on HELB first time application visit www.helb.co.ke