How to create a PayPal account in Kenya and link it to M-Pesa
PayPal is an online money transfer system that makes it easy for you to pay or get paid online without sharing any of your financial information. It provides you with an account on its website that is linked to your credit card or M-Pesa account making it easier and safer for you to transact globally. If you want to know how to create a PayPal account in Kenya and link it to your M-Pesa account, read this article!
Before we dive in, note that there are two accounts in PayPal that you can open, Personal account and Business account. This guide will focus on the personal account which is more than enough to get you started. You’ll need to have a working email address to create an account.
How to open a free PayPal account
Follow these steps to open a free PayPal account.
- Head over to official PayPal website www.PayPal.com
- Click the sign-up button on the screen.
- There are two accounts options, personal or business account, choose personal account and press continue.
- Enter a valid phone number and confirm your number through the code sent to you. Note that the code expires after 10 minutes.
- Set up your profile: enter your email address, first name, last name and create a secure password for your account.
- You will receive an email from PayPal to enable you to confirm opening your account and activate it.
At this point, you’ll have already created your PayPal account. You will need to link it to a credit or Debit card or M-Pesa for you to start online transactions. In this guide, I’ll show you how to link it to your M-Pesa account which is easier and effective.
How to link your PayPal account to M-Pesa
- Go to www.paypal-mobilemoney.com/M-pesa.
- You will be prompted to log in to your PayPal account.
- Agree to the terms and conditions of the service.
- Enter the Safaricom M-Pesa number you’d like to link to your PayPal account.
- You will receive a verification code on your number, enter the one-time verification code that has been sent to you and confirm.
That’s it and you’ll be done, ready to transact online all over the world. One thing to note is before you link your PayPal account to your M-Pesa account, make sure the names of your PayPal account matches with those of M-Pesa. If they don’t you can change your PayPal name to match your M-Pesa.
How to Top-up your PayPal account with Mpesa
First, before you top up your PayPal account with Mpesa you need to login in your account, enter the amount you would like to top up in USD and click “Calculate” to get the equivalent amount converted in KES. This is the amount you need to transfer from your MPESA account. Then follow these steps;
- Go to your M-pesa menu.
- Select Lipa na M-Pesa then Pay Bill option.
- Enter Business number 800088.
- Enter your phone number as the Account number
- Enter your M-Pesa pin and click ‘send’.
How to withdraw money from PayPal to M-Pesa
- Visit www.paypal-mobilemoney.com/M-pesa
- Login to your account.
- Click withdraw on the Top menu.
- Enter the amount you would like to withdraw from your PayPal account in USD.
- You will be redirected to a page showing the amount to be received in KES, the exchange rate used for the currency conversion and the estimated transaction processing time.
- Confirm and complete the withdrawal of funds.
Note that this transaction takes between 2-3 hours to be processed and you’ll be charged some transactional fees.
Read Also: List Of Top Mobile Loans App in Kenya